Friday, July 16, 2010

Foodie Log 9, date July 17, 2010

well, so much for keeping up with blogging frequently ... anyway, that was a BBQ-hangover-work-induced break, for which I apologize. let's see if we can return to the regularly scheduled yakking! :)

we went to Kansas City, MO for a personalized BBQ "tour" - it was pretty much BBQ all weekend long, multiple times a day ... I think my heart was trying to run away ...

First stop, Smokehouse BBQ - they were unloading the wood outside as I was driving up, which I took as a good sign. it was certainly smoky inside, so I guess the restaurant name is reflective of the restaurant atmosphere. I am not a huge fan of smelling like a place after I leave the place (e.g., 7-11, subway, starbucks), so I was not a fan of the smokiness - however perfect the atmosphere for BBQ. I ordered the pulled pork with coleslaw and fries on the side with a sweet tea. apparently, the Midwest does not do sweet tea (they had it, but it just wasn't proper sweet tea - how disappointing!)

Dinner that day was at Jack Stack (Freight House), which we were able to walk to from our hotel. It was indeed right by the train tracks, though you wouldn't really notice it from inside. Some brave souls were dining outside, but the walk and my relationship with bugs kept us inside - which was quite nice and cool :)
If you go, you must get the crown prime beef ribs ($27.95 for 3, but when we were there, they had a special with one rib and burnt ends and a side for $24 - these ribs are HUGE! so one is plenty). also, make sure to get the cheesy corn bake - we got the small, but these are so good you should really get the large regardless of what else you order. the coleslaw was a good palate cleanser (as coleslaw tends to be!) and the sweet tea was once again mediocre (I can hope!) as was the regular pork ribs - so I would skip those. The service was super fast (then again, it's BBQ right? they better be cooking all day long to get it right!) and our waiter was a good, fun chatty. we are usually not fans of chatty waiters, but the dude we had played it just right - didn't overstay, but had a good laughs and left the check (LOVE that! foodie pet peeve #101 - waiters that disappear when you want the check).

As good as Jack Stack's was, the best BBQ we had in Kansas City was on the KS-side at a gas station, natch! we had read high praise of Oklahoma Joe's and they were all pretty much on the spot - especially about getting there when they open at 11am. we arrived around 11:15am and the seating area was already full and by the time we left at 11:45am, there was a huge line and the lot was full! they had decadent ribs (it's hard to pick between these ribs and Jack Stack's crown ribs - but those crown ribs were a different category of ribs - I had never seen such before - whereas Oklahoma Joe's had your classic ribs done to yummy perfection!) I got the zesty rice & beans (also yum), but I was eyeing the french fries - "KC's best" they said - and the chicken gumbo - there will certainly be a next time! the creamy coleslaw was another hit. I kind of wished we had gone to this place the day before so we could have it twice!

the last one we hit was Arthur Bryant's and, I hate to say it, but I may have had a little too much BBQ over a 3-day period because I just wasn't that into it ... hubs said that the burnt ends were the best of the weekend though (I'm not a burnt ends kind of girl, so I skipped it), the short ribs (recommended by the yelp crowd) as med-kay, but again, I was pretty BBQ'd out, so don't hold me to that! btw, the "large" drink is GInormous, so order if barney the purple dinosaur is dining with you and is crazy thirsty! eee-gad!!

anyway, after a week away from BBQ and thinking I could do without BBQ for a while, I am craving it again ... I wish I could have brought those crown ribs and Oklahoma Joe's ribs home with me ... mmmmmmm riiiiiibs ... droooooool

Stats (in order of attendance):

Smokehouse BBQ
, Zona Rosa
Jack Stack, Freight House (*crown ribs and cheesy corn*)
Oklahoma Joe's, 47th and Mission Rd (*ribs, rice & beans, everything else probably!*)
Arthur Bryant's, The Original

No comments:

Post a Comment